is a program developed for adult swimmers with the objective of
promoting fitness, friendship and understanding.
SOUTH AFRICAN MASTERS SWIMMING
is a countrywide association of swimming clubs for
adults (men and women of 19 years and older) who swim regularly to keep fit and have fun.
Experience shows that by swimming together in groups members can encourage one another in
- The program is designed for everyone from experienced swimmers to beginners.
- Swimming is an excellent exercise for improving aerobic fitness, resisting coronary
disease, lowering blood pressure and relaxing after the tensions of work. It is ideal for
those whose age or musculo-skeletal system prevents them from taking part in more vigorous
- Most clubs swim together once or twice a week. Smaller groups of members swim together
daily. Groups offer help and encouragement in improving your swimming technique and
- Competitions are held monthly during the summer. These are really timed swims with the
results being divided into age groups starting at 19-24 and then in 5 year brackets of
25-29, 30-34 to 100+. Often after these galas the host club will organise a social get
together, often in the form of a braai.
- A National Championship is held in late summer. No qualifying standards for entry are
set. For the more competitive, South African Masters Swimming awards National Colours to
those swimmers who achieve a standard at least equal to the 10th best time in
the world as published by the world body, FINA.
- For those with the time and means, tours are sometimes organised to other countries. Any
member can join these tours regardless of swimming ability. The World
Masters Swimming Championships are held every second year in a different
country. There are qualifying times for these championships.
- Open-water swimming events are popular with Masters swimmers groups travel and
stay together at the various venues. For a first-time open-water swimmer this support and
encouragement is a must.
YOU CAN GET FIT AND ENJOY YOURSELF AT THE SAME TIME
Your local contact is :
YOU DONT HAVE TO COMPETE TO WIN AT SWIMMING